Chances are, most of you have already used alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA’s) in your skincare routine –you’ve probably heard of glycolic, lactic, citric and malic acids, right? If you are on the path to effectively exfoliate, clear up breakouts or reveal more vibrant, brighter skin, then AHA’s are a completely safe and effective solution to add into your home routine if you have not already. But, how do you use AHA’s exactly and who benefits the most?Where are the AHA’s in natural products derived from?
- Glycolic Acid: sugarcane
- Citric Acid: fruits such as lemons, oranges and grapefruit
- Lactic Acid: milk
- Malic Acid: fruits and vegetables
- Skin that is oily with large, visible pores or skin with recurring breakouts:
AHA’s will work to exfoliate the dead surface cells while also deeply cleansing the pores, resulting in a more balanced and clearer complexion with tighter pores. When used regularly (at least 3x per week or upwards to every night for 30 days in this case), AHA’s will prevent future breakouts from occurring so you can be on your way to a glowing, healthy complexion.
- Anyone during change of season, change of temperature or climate:
As the seasons change, so should our skincare routines, and dramatic temperature changes can really send our skin into something other than its “normal”. Has your mature or normal skin felt like it has had a layer of sludge laying on it lately (hello heat and lockdown)? Using natural AHAs are a weekly essential for purifying, removing the dead skin cells and for prompting new, healthy cells to grow. The result? That layer of oil is gone, skin will be smoother and you’ll have a vibrant glow everyone will notice.How do I add an AHA into my routine?
The most appropriate time to use an AHA is during your evening routine, right before bed. If for some reason you need to use an AHA in the daytime, be sure to apply a sunscreen right away (AHA’s will make your skin more vulnerable to the sun’s rays)
- Cleanse your skin as normal
- Apply your AHA treatment
- Wait a few minutes
- MOST IMPORTANTLY, apply a Moisturizer: now that all the dead skin cells have been sloughed off, you’ve revealed a new, healthy layer of skin that needs proper nourishment. Your skin will now also benefit more from the active ingredients in your moisturizer, and allow your skin to repair itself overnight while you sleep.
We’ve got you covered with an easy-to-use, effective solution from Elemental Herbology:
Natural acid treatment pads with 5% Natural Fruit and 5% Glycolic acids (AHA’s). Swipe 1 over skin and done!